Whether you are a recent college graduate or an experienced industry professional, we’re confident that you’ll find your desired career path within UFG. So, take the next step and apply for a position today.
Associate Underwriter Trainee
UFG can offer you an award-winning workplace and a trustworthy, financially-stable company. While we’ve always known our commitment to employees and financial stewardship, it is good to have others recognize our dedicated efforts. UFG was named to the “2016 Top Workplaces” list by The Des Moines Register, and was also included on Forbes’ "America’s Most Trustworthy Financial Companies” list for the third year in a row. Additionally, UFG is a super-regional property and casualty insurer rated “A” (Excellent) by A.M. Best Company.
Most important, UFG can offer you a work environment where you can easily see yourself in the big picture from day one. You become part of a successful team that works together to do great things. In addition, we believe in supporting our employees by providing a great benefits plan and allowing our people to develop flexible work hours that align with their personal schedule.
As an associate underwriter trainee you will be working at an awarded Top Workplace. Here is how you will spend your days: Conduct training to process insurance policy transactions such as quotes, applications and endorsements according to established guidelines. The on-the-job training incudes a variety of tutorials and classes that will help you along the way. You will learn to use your analytical skills to make sound risk selection and eventually manage a commercial underwriting territory typically under $5 million once training is close to completion. We will help hone your marketing skills to assist you in building strong relationships with agency personnel. And, we will teach you solid negotiating skills that will help you attain the positive results of premium growth and acceptable loss ratios. We believe in a team environment; you will have regular contact with fellow underwriters to discuss interpretation on coverage and risks.
- Conduct underwriting training in the following areas:
- Order and review MVRs, D&B and credit reports
- App and quote track new business to evaluate for proper coverage and premium
- Evaluate change request. Approve, assign codes and process mail within underwriting guidelines. Conduct rating tasks as assigned.
- Evaluate drivers for recommendations
- Conduct agency management training in the following areas:
- Answer agency inquiries regarding status of risks or information requests
- Special projects as assigned
- Once training is near completion or completed:
- Evaluate coverages and risks
- Price the risk and secure its proper class
- Work with agents and CSRs to gather critical information and form strong relationships
- Four-year college degree preferred or equivalent insurance experience with INS designation
- An affinity for detailed accuracy
- Ability to develop positive relationships with coworkers and agents
Connect With UsJoin our talent network and receive UFG job alerts
If we don’t currently have any job openings that interest you or match your skill set, we encourage you to connect with us to receive updates on job openings and recruiting events at UFG.
Equal Opportunity Employer
UFG is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran or any other protected status. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please email email@example.com to provide the nature of your request. Only inquires for an accommodation will be responded to. For more information on rights protecting job applicants, click here: Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA), Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
To maintain integrity in our hiring process, UFG voluntarily participates in E-Verify. Click here for more information: E-Verify (English) E-Verify (Español)