Whether you are a recent college graduate or an experienced industry professional, we’re confident that you’ll find your desired career path within UFG. So, take the next step and apply for a position today.
INTRODUCTION: UFG can offer you an award-winning workplace and a trustworthy, financially-stable company. While we’ve always known our commitment to employees and financial stewardship, it is good to have others recognize our dedicated efforts. UFG was named to the “2016 Top Workplaces” list by The Des Moines Register, and was also included on the Forbes’ America’s Most Trustworthy Financial Companies” list. Additionally, UFG is a super-regional property and casualty insurer rated “A” (Excellent) by A.M. Best Company.
JOB SUMMARY: As an underwriting specialist you will be working with an awarded Top Workplace. Here is what you’ll be doing on a daily basis: analyze insurance data, enter statistical information and compute premiums required for all commercial insurance lines of business and assist your underwriting team in the processing of new application, renewals, endorsements and cancellations using our automated in-house system to generate a legal contract for the insured. This position requires accurate and analytical skills working in a team environment. The primary goal is to produce a quality policy to insureds and agents.
- Data entry working on various computer systems from correspondence. This includes updating renewals, change requests, cancellations, reporting forms and the initial entry for applications and quotes
- Obtain information needed for underwriting decisions including deciding what needs to be referred back to the underwriter
- Write or call agents for additional or missing information
- Using ImageRight; perform file setup and organization of electronically stored documents
- Assist underwriters with information gathering and written correspondence
- Handle overflow calls coming to the underwriting team
- Review incoming tasks and either complete them or forward to appropriate team member
- Assist with general questions from team and coworkers
- Possess strong analytical and math skills
- Proven to have accurate keyboard/calculator and professional phone skills
- Excel; Word and Internet search/navigation skills.
- Perform other duties as assigned
WHEN YOU JOIN UFG:
- You will be challenged, but you will also have a team to support you. At first, you will participate in a trainee class with others learning alongside you. We’ll make sure you are ready to move forward by guiding your training needs.
- A career progression is presented to you, with a clear roadmap to how you can move forward in your career. You will contribute to the overall success of the underwriting team.
- Must have a minimum of a High School diploma or GED
- Must have at least one year office experience
- Preferred to also have a College Education and/or General Insurance Classes
Prefer to have at least four years work experienceCertified or working towards INS Designation
- Demonstrated success in working in finance coursework.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with coworkers and customers
Attributes We Seek:
- Must have good memory retention levels due to the amount of detail involved
- A champion handling workload and prioritizing to meet deadlines often while multiple interruptions occur
- Have a flexible mindset and thrive in a dynamic environment
- Promote a positive and professional image and develop productive relationships
- Excellent spoken & written communication skills
- To be enthusiastic and energetic
- Demonstrate an open-minded, team-oriented, and collaborative work style
- Be open to unexpected discovery and able to survey and assess all potential opportunities; not confined to defined categories
- Innately driven to provide high quality customer service
Connect With UsJoin our talent network and receive UFG job alerts
If we don’t currently have any job openings that interest you or match your skill set, we encourage you to connect with us to receive updates on job openings and recruiting events at UFG.
Equal Opportunity Employer
UFG is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran or any other protected status. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please email email@example.com to provide the nature of your request. Only inquires for an accommodation will be responded to. For more information on rights protecting job applicants, click here: Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA), Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
To maintain integrity in our hiring process, UFG voluntarily participates in E-Verify. Click here for more information: E-Verify (English) E-Verify (Español)